CalCRN Tools and Materials for Financial Literacy
The California Career Resource Network (CalCRN) has two lessons in its Career and College Readiness Lesson Plans (CCRLP) that focus on financial literacy. There are 45 lessons in total and they are organized by grade but flexible for use across a variety of grade levels.
- My Future Lifestyle (Grade 7) Students will use the California CareerZone Make Money Choices feature to explore the costs related to certain lifestyle choices and create a budget based on those choices. They will identify occupations with salaries that will support their budgets.
- Choosing My Lifestyle(Grade 10) Students will determine financial needs, develop a budget necessary to provide a desired lifestyle, and identify occupations that pay enough to support that lifestyle.
- The Make Money Choices Workbook can be used as an optional resource of the “Choosing My Lifestyle” lesson or on its own.
- Teachers can also scan the Lesson Plans Content Overview to discover other lessons that may support your career readiness efforts.
- After implementing a lesson, eligible teacher advisers from affiliated chapter schools should complete the CCRLP Survey and include in Question #3 OTHER Field "Financial Literacy Grant" to apply for Cy-Pres Financial Literacy Grant Visa gift card contest funds.
The California CareerZone “Make Money Choices” feature is utilized in the CCRLP financial literacy lessons but can also be used on its own.
- In addition to Make Money Choices, the CareerZone offers four career-related assessments
- Details on more than 900 occupations sorted by California Career Technical Education Industry Sectors.
- Students can compare the California wages with any other state for every occupation.
- Students can establish free student accounts to save their budget, assessment results, and more.
- After using the California CareerZone, eligible teacher advisers from affiliated chapter schools should complete the CalCRN Survey and include in Question #3 OTHER field "Financial Literacy Grant" to apply for Cy-Pres Financial Literacy Grant Visa gift card contest funds.
CA FBLA and CalCRN (Updated August 19, 2019)