L. BYRAM BATES MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
INDIVIDUAL RECOGNITION—STATE AWARD
The scholarship award recognizes outstanding California FBLA members who will be furthering their education upon graduation from high school.
There is no limit on the number of applicants from each local chapter. Current and former state officers are not eligible.
This event consists of six (6) parts: an application, a transcript, a résumé, an essay, two (2) letters of recommendation, and an interview. Participants are required to complete all parts to be eligible for the scholarship.
Each applicant must:
• be an active paid member of FBLA for at least two years
• be a graduating senior of the current school year
• achieve at least the Leader level of the Business Achievement Awards*
• be a member of a chapter with five (5) FBLA Professional Division members
• be enrolled or in the process of enrolling in post-secondary education in the fall immediately following graduation
• attend the State Leadership Conference if a finalist
The following materials must be submitted online by April 2, 2020: Link to Submission Form (also found on Competitive Events Overview page)
1. A completed, typed, Scholarship Award Application Form.
2. An official transcript
3. A brief résumé not to exceed two (2) pages, noting the criteria listed in the rating sheet
4. A one (1) page essay on how participation in FBLA will help achieve the applicant’s stated goals in life
5. Two (2) letters of recommendation (one must be submitted by the local chapter adviser) (signed and scanned.
6. Verification of Leadership Level
*If Leader level was just achieved and NOT yet posted on the national website, a PDF of the email confirmation of completion must be included with scholarship application materials.
The Scholarship Committee will determine the number of finalists and amount of scholarships each year based on funding of the scholarship fund and advisers will be notified of finalists.
A panel of judges will use the rating sheet to score application materials and conduct an interview. All decisions of the judges are final.
Rating Sheet (Interview)
Rating Sheet (Materials)