Sample Practice Materials
- Jobs in Sports
- NACDA Job Center
- NCAA - National Collegiate Athletic Association
2. Explain the seven marketing functions and their importance in sports and entertainment.
3. Describe the steps in developing a market research project.
4. Identify the challenges, obstacles, and limitations associated with sports and entertainment marketing.
5. Discuss the significance of the four P’s to the target market.
6. Compare and contrast the differences of the marketing mix components in sports and entertainment.
7. Analyze the various pricing strategies and factors that affect pricing sports and entertainment products.
8. Calculate the markup of sports and entertainment products.
9. Examine ticket sales policies/strategies in sports and entertainment.
10. Identify types of market segmentation.
11. Discuss the issues related to branding strategies of products in sports and entertainment.
12. Examine product lines for sports and entertainment organizations (including manufacturing costs).
13. Describe why sports/entertainment organizations implement promotions.
14. Determine the role of advertising technology in sports and entertainment.
15. Evaluate the advertising forms (print, broadcast, specialty, social media, etc.) suitable in the sports and entertainment industry.
16. Assess demographic and geographic considerations related to sports and entertainment.
17. Explain the central focus of the marketing concept.
18. Explain the reasons for increased entertainment options.
19. Explain the importance of understanding buyer behavior when making marketing decisions.
20. List and describe means of collecting marketing information for use in decision making.
21. Define market segmentation.
22. Explain the importance of outstanding customer service.
23. Explain what it means to establish a service culture.
24. Explain the role of travel and tourism in sports and entertainment
25. Explain how marketers determine direction and focus for a marketing plan
26. List and describe the components of a marketing plan.
27. Define the product mix, product extension, and product enhancement..
28. List and describe the components of the product mix.
29. Explain the high cost for sports and entertainment events.
30. Define customizing.
31. Describe the financial impact of Baby Boomers on the sports and entertainment industry.
32. List and describe the stages of the product life cycle.
33. Explain how products are positioned in the marketplace.
2. Examine operating procedures for a facility.
3. Evaluate financing opportunities for a sports and entertainment facility.
4. Evaluate support activities in operating a sports and entertainment facility (concessions, security).
5. Employ the principles of safety to sports and entertainment.
6. Discuss prevention procedures and preparation techniques including risk management.
7. Describe the event triangle as it relates to event marketing/management.
8. Examine event possibilities in various sports and entertainment industries
9. Describe potential marketing and sales techniques used before, during, and after events.
10. Describe the role of sponsorship and evaluate potential techniques for effective utilization.
11. Discuss criteria for selecting venues.
12. Explain the process for planning an event.
13. Develop a budget for an event.
14. Develop follow-up activities to recognize/thank participants after the event.
15. Implement and evaluate a sports and entertainment event to promote retention and service for future events.
16. Explain factors affecting attendance at an event.
17. Examine concessions sales policies/strategies in sports and entertainment.
18. Explain the importance of budgets as related to sports and entertainment management.
19. Describe the management necessary for major events.
20. Define the four types of economic utility as they relate to sports and entertainment events.
21. Describe the factors of production in a market economy.
22. Explain how universities increase revenues through entertainment events.
23. Explain the different types of organizational structures.
24. Describe the value of special events and their importance during shoulder periods.
25. Describe the latest technology trends impacting entertainment
26. Explain the developmental phase for sports and entertainment planning.
27. Explain how objectives set guidelines for entertainment events.
28. Define mission for the sports and entertainment industry.
29. Define risk and describe the categories and classifications of risk.
30. Describe the four strategies for risk management.
31. Define industry and give examples of subdivisions of the sports and entertainment industry.
32. Explain why marketing decisions are based on industry standards, norms, and trends.
2. Analyze personnel needs for an event.
3. Describe the importance of job descriptions and separation of responsibilities in a large organization.
4. Describe the recruiting and retention processes.
5. Identify general managers for professional teams and their duties
6. Describe the roles of scouts, agents, and managers and their benefits.
7. Establish criteria, policies, and procedures to be used to determine compensation, benefits, and promotion.
8. Explain the need for human resources
9. Define the four functions of human resource departments: planning and staffing, performance management, compensation and benefits, and employer relations.
10. Explain the need for continuous professional development.
11. Describe the rules of conduct for a workforce.
12. Define SWOT analysis, benchmarking, and scenario building
13. Describe fringe benefits offered to sports and entertainment employees
14. Explain the importance of job orientation
15. Explain the importance of evaluating employee performance.
16. Describe diversity in the workplace.
17. Describe strategies to recruit sports and entertainment employees.
18. Define human resources management identify human resource management activities.
19. Describe the procedure to recruit and hire the best personnel.
20. Explain why coordinating and giving feedback are important responsibilities of human resource management
2. Compare and contrast sponsorships and endorsements.
3. Evaluate the sports and entertainment industry as a valuable segment of the economy.
4. Analyze the components of the sports and entertainment industry.
5. Analyze growth and trends of sports and entertainment as an industry in local, state, national, and international areas.
6. Identify new trends and areas of growth in amateur sports
7. Describe the goals of promotion
8. List and define the elements of promotion.
9. List and describe the steps involved in developing effective advertising.
10. Describe the use of product placement
11. Define publicity and explain its role in creating a positive public image
12. Describe different types of sales promotions
13. List the steps in developing the promotional plan.
14. Explain the benefits of sponsorship to the sponsor
15. Explain the promotional value of involvement in seasonal themed events.
16. Explain the promotional value of entertainment awards.
2. Explain supply and demand and the relationship of the economic system to the sports and entertainment industry
3. Describe economic indicators and growth of sports and entertainment industry
4. Explain the advantages and disadvantages of operating as a for-profit or not-for profit organization.
5. Identify revenue sources as related to sports and entertainment industries and for specific events.
6. Examine economic impact studies, previous results, and relate these to financing decisions
7. Identify expenditures for the sports and entertainment industries
8. Describe the importance of business and financial plans
9. Analyze basic financial documents: budgets, income statements, balance sheets, and breakeven point analysis
10. Identify types of budgeting techniques used in local, collegiate, and professional sports.
11. Define risk and describe the categories and classifications of risk.
12. Describe the four strategies for risk management
13. Define industry and give examples of subdivisions of the sports and entertainment industry.
14. Explain why marketing decisions are based on industry standards, norms, and trends.
15. Explain the role of travel and tourism in sports and entertainment.
2. Identify advantages and risks of strategic management.
3. Explain the steps in a successful change process.
4. Explain the different types of organizational structures with the sports and entertainment industries.
5. Identify current trends in the workforce concerning organizational structures.
6. Explain the distribution of sports and entertainment
7. List and describe distribution channels for sports and entertainment.
8. Explain the relationships among supply, demand, and price
9. Discuss the government’s influence on pricing
10. Discuss pricing strategies used by businesses to increase sales
11. . List the steps for determining price.
12. Define the business cycle and describe its impact on entertainment.
13. Discuss the importance of monitoring customer trends.
14. List the steps of the sales process.
15. Explain the difference between ticket brokers and ticket scalpers
16. Explain sales strategies for attracting groups to sports and entertainment venues
17. Describe how corporations use sports and entertainment to motivate employees and impress clients.
18. Discuss how laws impact entertainment marketing.
19. Explain copyright law.
20. Describe contract law for the sports and entertainment industry.
21. Explain the distribution of sports and entertainment
22. List and describe distribution channels for sports and entertainment.
23. Explain the relationships among supply, demand, and price.
24. Discuss the government’s influence on pricing.
25. Discuss pricing strategies used by businesses to increase sales.
26. List the steps for determining price
27. Define the business cycle and describe its impact on entertainment
28. Discuss the importance of monitoring customer trends
2. Describe the impact of national, state, and local laws and regulations on sports and entertainment
3. Describe the impact of the Americans with Disabilities Act on sports and entertainment events and facilities
4. Discuss the impact of Title IX on management of college athletics.
5. Examine environmental issues/laws as they relate to sports and entertainment industries
6. Describe how monopoly laws affect professional sports.
7. Discuss the impact of labor laws on sports.
8. Analyze the impact of labor unions on sports and entertainment, including pricing and strikes.
9. Explain the purpose and benefits of copyright protection
10. Identify purpose, types, and terms and need for contracts.
11. Explain the agent’s and general manager’s roles in an athlete’s contractual agreement
2. Compare and contrast media sources for public relations and advertising.
3. Compare/evaluate advance publicity in sports and entertainment.
4. Utilize effective communication skills including proper grammar and writing skills.
5. Discuss the importance of positive and negative public relations for sports; how firms assist in creating favorable images and how athletics can affect public perceptions.
6. List and explain potential benefits of celebrity endorsement
7. Describe public relations efforts related to fans, publishing, and speaking engagements.
2. Evaluate social responsibility in sports and entertainment industry.
3. Evaluate and apply principles of ethics as they relate to sports and entertainment.
4. Define ethics.
5. Discuss the impact of unethical behavior.
2. Evaluate the forms of product licensing and the product licensing process.
3. Describe the financial value of licensing sports and entertainment merchandise
2. Determine the various types of sponsorship in sports and entertainment.
3. Identify and define standards of controlling professional sports.
4. Describe the managerial role of the NCAA and other collegiate governing bodies in college athletics.
5. Describe the NCAA’s, NAIA’s and NJCAA’s roles as the governing bodies in collegiate athletics.
2. Identify specific skills needed by today’s sports and entertainment workforce.
3. Describe education and training needed for a job/career in sports management
4. Identify barriers to employment and strategies to overcome them
5. Develop a career portfolio including a résumé, cover letter, job application, and other work-related items
6. Define a career development program in the sports and entertainment industry.
7. Describe various career levels in sports and entertainment management.
8. Explain the importance of a career portfolio.
2. Explain the evolution of the management information system.
3. Describe key components of the management information system
4. Discuss the implementation of strategies and decision making using a management information system.
5. List and describe the steps involved in marketing research.
6. Discuss the human factors in marketing research.
7. Explain the options for electronic data collection.
8. Discuss the concept of data-driven decisions
9. Explain the difference between marketing tactics and strategies
10. Explain the importance of planning to keep ahead of the competition.
11. Explain the importance learning from customers
12. Explain how marketers determine direction and focus for a marketing plan.
13. List and describe the components of a marketing plan
14. Explain the importance of Management Information Systems (MIS).
15. Explain the rationale for organizations to follow best practices
2. Identify and describe four leadership styles: autocratic, democratic, open, and situational.
3. Discuss the importance of human relations skills and communication for an effective leader/manager.
4. Discuss effective motivation techniques and effective work teams.
5. Define delegation of duties
6. Explain the importance of professional networking
7. Describe the skills needed by employees in the sports and entertainment industry
8. Explain the latest trends in the sports and entertainment industry
9. Explain the basic structures of groups
10. Describe factors that influence group behavior
11. Describe the different types of teams used by an organization.
12. Explain how a manager can build a successful team
13. Explain how organizations can be designed to support teams.
14. Describe a virtual team and its functions
15. Explain how feedback from management influences employee performance.
16. Explain how leaders must be agents of change
17. Describe characteristics of successful teams.
18. Explain why teams fail.
19. Define leadership and list leadership characteristics.
20. Identify ways that managers influence employees.
21. Describe important human relations skills.
22. Explain what motivates individuals to accomplish organizational goals.
23. Discuss leadership styles
24. Describe strategies that leaders use to motivate employees.
25. Explain why people resist change
26. Describe the steps for an effective change process.
27. List the characteristics of enlightened leaders.
28. Discuss the types of decisions made by managers
29. Describe the conditions faced by a manager when making a decision.
30. Explain the advantages and disadvantages of group decision making.
31. Describe the concept of knowledge management.
32. Explain how knowledge communities can benefit sports and entertainment managers.
33. Describe strategies used by groups to make decisions.
34. Explain different management approaches.
2. Discuss the advantages and risks associated with strategic management.
3. Identify the steps in strategic management
4. Explain the development phase of the strategic management process
5. Describe the action and review phases of the strategic management process.
6. Describe internal and external environmental factors that impact economics for the sports and entertainment industry.
7. Explain how functional strategies are related to strategic planning.
8. Describe the major strategic planning tools available to managers.
9. Explain how entertainment managers achieve strategic fit.
10. Describe internal and external environments that impact economics for sports and entertainment
11. Explain how functional strategies are related to strategic planning.
2. Discuss the principles of business management.
3. List the steps in the decision-making process.
4. Explain the role of human resources management in community entertainment events
5. Describe the economic and competitive challenges faced by state fairs and other entertainment events.
6. Explain the role of economic efficiency for entertainment events.
7. Discuss the purpose and benefits of planning
8. Describe the planning process.
9. Describe the reasons for and benefits of organizing
10. Explain factors that affect the structure of an organization.
11. Describe how authority is delegated in organizations
12. Explain the activities of the implementing function
13. Describe the management control process
14. List and describe the three steps for efficient control
15. Describe the processes of establishing standards, monitoring results, and comparing them to standards, and making corrections deviations.
- Business Management & Administration