Sample Practice Materials
2. Define the seven key marketing functions: selling, marketing information management, financing, pricing, promotion, product/service management, and distribution.
3. Define service marketing and how it relates to the hospitality industry.
4. Explain the impact of travel and tourism on the U.S. economy as well as worldwide.
5. Describe various advertising strategies for the hospitality industry.
6. Explain public relations and publicity as they relate to the hospitality industry.
7. Explain the role of demographics as it relates to hospitality management.
8. Describe market segmentation and meeting the needs of various target markets in the hospitality industry.
9. Explain the product and service mix for various types of hospitality businesses.
10. Describe marketing strategies for the hospitality industry.
2. Describe the latest trends regarding the leisure traveler: eco/environmental, extreme sports, etc.
3. Define the different hotel and motel types.
4. Describe property-wide amenities that meet the needs of the different target markets in the hospitality industry
5. Explain the difference between a full-service and a limited-service hotel.
6. Differentiate needs for various markets in the hospitality industry.
7. Describe financial criteria for different target markets in the hospitality industry.
8. Analyze the importance of long-term hospitality relationships with other major industries and individuals.
9. Describe incentives and rewards for long-term repeat individuals/groups in the hospitality industry.
10. Describe the value of customer feedback in the hospitality industry as it relates to improvement to product and service.
2. Describe strategies and procedures for determining room rates and prices in the hotel industry
3. Collect and interpret financial data to prepare financial statements such as balance sheet, income statement, cash flow projections, and summary of sales and receipts.
4. Interpret data from financial statements to develop short- and long-term budgetary plans, to determine point of profitability and viability, and to analyze cash flow forecast (e.g., RevPar).
5. Describe basic purchasing procedures commonly used in the hospitality industry.
6. List different sources of financing available for purchasing a hospitality business.
7. Discuss strategies for increasing occupancy rates.
8. Define occupancy rate and yield management in the hospitality industry.
9. Explain the four basic functions of hospitality management: planning, organizing, implementing, and controlling.
10. Describe the importance of planning and forecasting for the hospitality industry.
11. Analyze the importance of having good hospitality personnel to support meetings, events, and lodging for the customer.
12. Explain the importance of strategic planning and synergy for successful management of hospitality events.
13. Describe the leadership characteristics and human relations skills that help managers influence employees to perform at a higher level.
2. Describe property-wide hotel amenities and explain why they are important to guests.
3. Determine, maintain, and improve the marketing mix (product, price, place, and promotion).
4. Apply strategies for determining and adjusting prices to maximize on return and meet customers’ perceptions of value.
5. Develop and deliver effective customer relation skills in order to provide good customer service.
6. Establish effective selling philosophies in order to develop customer loyalty and profitability.
7. Explain typical rating systems used in the lodging business.
8. Conduct research to determine customer needs and wants in the hospitality industry.
9. Gather and evaluate marketing information to make hospitality business decisions.
10. Analyze the characteristics, motivations, and behaviors of hospitality consumers.
2. Identify various types of employee compensation and recognition.
3. Evaluate the effects of employees’ absenteeism, errors, or other negative employee behaviors on business productivity.
4. Plan, develop, and implement employee orientation and training programs.
5. Develop an employee recruitment plan designed to identify and hire qualified employees.
6. Describe the salary and fringe benefit package that will attract the best employees to the hospitality industry.
7. Develop a plan for evaluation of employee performance and productivity.
8. Develop separation, termination, and transition procedures for processing employee personnel actions.
9. Plan and manage work schedules and personnel to maximize operations.
10. Describe safe working conditions in the hospitality industry to include OSHA Guidelines.
11. Identify and explore career opportunities to create a professional growth and development plan.
12. Exhibit positive work behaviors and personal qualities to enhance the work environment.
13. Motivate and supervise personnel to achieve completion of projects and company goals.
14. Develop an organizational chart with staffing/human resource plans including job descriptions and recruitment techniques.
15. Identify ways to improve employee morale and customer satisfaction.
16. Identify basic principles of organized labor and describe their influence on the hospitality industry.
17. Explain the impact of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action on the hospitality industry.
18. Identify personal characteristics of effective employees within the hospitality industry
19. Identify global factors affecting the future of the hospitality workforce.
20. Identify technology and other factors affecting the future hospitality workforce.
2. Describe accommodations that meet ADA standards.
3. Interpret the information found on financial statements in the hospitality industry
4. Explain the relationship between occupancy rate and budget for a hospitality venue.
5. Explain rack rates, business rates, and leisure rates in the hospitality industry.
6. Demonstrate knowledge of social, ethical, and legal issues of the hospitality industry.
7. Explain the legal aspects of contracts in the hospitality industry.
8. Apply legal interpretations to employee situations, retention of records, safety and security issues, and financial data.
9. Demonstrate knowledge of consumer protection laws.
10. Develop procedures for the legal review of documents and procedures, such as contracts.
11. Analyze the impact of federal, state and local government regulations on the hospitality industry.
12. Implement safety, health, and environmental controls to minimize loss and risk.
13. Identify reasons for liability insurance and disclaimers in the hospitality industry.
14. Analyze the importance of guest security and anonymity in the hospitality industry.
2. Describe the latest trends and technologies affecting business travelers.
3. Describe the latest trends affecting leisure
4. Describe how advances in technology allow the hospitality industry to keep up-to-date customer records.
5. Explain hospitality industry processes for the collection of customer database information.
6. Describe advances in technology that benefit hotel guests.
2. Explain special considerations for international travelers
3. Describe the importance of global travel.
4. Apply ethical conduct in dealing with international business transactions.
5. Describe environmentally sound practices regarding guests in the hospitality industry.
6. Describe environmentally sound practices for hospitality industry properties
7. Exhibit ethical and legal social behaviors when using information and technology in the hospitality industry and discuss the consequences of misuse.
8. Apply a professional code of ethics to a workplace problem or issue.
9. Explain the relationship of business ethics to product/service management.
10. Describe the role of ethics and social responsibility on decision making in the hospitality industry.
11. Explain lodging and tourism taxes imposed by states and counties.
12. Identify current laws and regulations that impact the hospitality industry.
13. Explain the ripple direct and indirect effect of tourism dollars.
14. Demonstrate the economic impact of tourism on a state’s economy.
15. Explain the economic role played by the hospitality industry in satisfying customer needs and wants in a free enterprise system.
16. Explain the importance of monitoring economic trends in the hospitality industry as it relates to sales strategies for different economic cycles.
2. Describe the impact of Internet sales on the hospitality industry.
3. Identify markets for potential group sales
4. List sales strategies for event marketing as it relates to business
5. List sales strategies as they relate to leisure customers.
6. Apply the steps of the sales process in the hospitality industry.
7. Describe different sales promotions used in the lodging industry.
8. Identify successful strategies for the hospitality industry that are designed to generate repeat business.
9. Explain how sales efforts are tied to personal service.
10. Identify characteristics of an effective salesperson as they relate to the sale, communication after the sale, and follow up in the hospitality industry.
11. Identify customer prospecting strategies for the hospitality industry.
12. Describe elements of the hospitality sales contract.
13. Describe effective strategies for servicing hospitality meetings and hotel individual guests.
14. Describe sales strategies for economic downturns.
- Career Development
- Information Technology
- Business Management & Administration
- Human Services
- Information Techology
- Marketing, Sales, & Service