PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Category: Prejudged Project & Presentation
Type: Individual or Team
OVERVIEW: This event consists of two (2) parts: a prejudged project and a presentation at the conference. Finalists are required to complete both parts for award eligibility.
ELIGIBILITY: No more than one (1) team member may have competed in this event at a prior NLC or have competed more than two (2) years at the national level. A participant may compete as an individual their first year. However if competing a second year, the participant must be part of a team.
STATE: Each local chapter may submit one (1) entry created by either an individual or a team of two(2) or three (3).
NATIONAL: The top four (4) places in the state competition will represent California at the National Leadership Conference. NOTE: Some SLC top-10 competitors will become eligible for the national conference as a result of drops. Make sure you get early approval from your parents to attend the National Conference so you will be in a position to say "yes" to your adviser if you are "bumped up".
TOPIC: Create a Public Service Announcement about the importance of financial literacy for teens.
SKILLS: This recognizes FBLA members who can research a topic and create a 30-second PSA video.
EVENT SPECIFIC GUIDELINES:
- Research and form an objective on the topic provided.
- Create a 30-second video on the topic.
- The video production may use any method to capture or create moving images.
- The PSA video must be shown to the judges.
- The presentation should include the team’s objective toward the topic; major findings from the topic research; the script writing process; use of different video techniques; a list of equipment and software used; and copyright issues with pictures, music, or other items.
- Competitors must bring their own script copy if they want to refer to it during the presentation.
Submission: Project must be submitted online as a URL. See Competitive Events Overview for submission forms. Statement of Assurance is included on the Submission Form.
Submission Deadline: February 28 by 11:59 pm. Conference registration is required for work to be judged. Missing the deadline will forfeit competitor participation. Hint: Allow for plenty of time to upload your work.
FINALISTS: The top five(5) or top eight (8) individuals or teams with the highest prejudged score will participate in the presentation portion of this event. Competitors are responsible for bringing the video to show the judges. Number of finalists will be determined by December 31.
- Equipment Setup: 5 min (if exceeded, the amount of time exceeded will be deducted from the presentation time)
- Performance: 5 min
- Warning: 4 min
- Time Up: 5 min
- Penalty Over Time: 5 pts
- Q & A: Judges will conduct a three (3) minute question-answer period.
JUDGING: Judges will use the rating sheets (prejudged or presentation) to score competitors. The panel of judges evaluating prejudged materials may not necessarily be the same panel evaluating the presentations. All decisions of the judges are final.