MOBILE APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT
OVERVIEW: This event consists of two (2) parts: a prejudged project (CA SLC only) and a demonstraton at the conference. Competitors are required to complete both parts for award eligibility. Note: NLC no longer requires a prejudged project; only a demonstration of the project at the preliminary and final presentatons.
Category: Prejudged Project & Demonstration
Type: Individual or TeamELIGIBILITY: No more than one (1) team member may have competed in this event at a prior NLC or have competed more than two (2) years at the national level. A participant may compete as an individual their first year. However, if competing a second year, the participant must be part of a team.
STATE: Each local chapter may submit one (1) entry created by either an individual (1) or a team of two (2) or three (3).
NATIONAL: The top four (4) places in the state competition will representate California at the National Leadership Conference. NOTE: Some SLC top-10 competitors will become eligible for the national conference as a result of drops. Make sure you get early approval from your parents to attend the National Conference so you will be in a position to say "yes" to your adviser if you are "bumped up".
Develop an app for local chapters to manage their chapters.
- The app must include: App Name, About FBLA, Join FBLA (form), Calendar, links to FBLA websites, Local Officer Team, links to Social Media, Competitive Events, Current Events, Sign-up for a current event (form for either competitive event, fundraiser, or community service), Q & A, and Contact Us.
- The app must include a way to track chapter meeting attendance.
- The app must be designed for a phone/tablet.
- The operating system must be mobile based such as Android or iO.
SKILLS: Mobile Applications are necessary to provide users with the ability to be productive while away from their computers. This event recognizes FBLA members who show an understanding in developing mobile apps.
Event Specific Guidelines:
- The following platforms may be used to develop the project: Google’s Android, Apple iOS, or Microsoft Windows Phone.
- Project submissions must include the source code and screen shots of the GUI in PDF format.
- The solution must run standalone with no programming errors.
- Applications may deploy from a smartphone, tablet, or both, but must be smartphone deployable.
- Applications do not need to be available for download from a digital-distribution multimedia-content service.
- Competitors are expected to follow all applicable copyright laws. Refer to the Format Guide for copyright guidelines.
- Any photographs, texts, trademarks, or names used must be supported by proper documention and approvals indicated on the project.
- When applicable, the use of templates must be identified.
- The app should be shown to the judges.
Submission: Program must be submitted online as a URL. See Competitive Events Overview for submission forms. A Statement of Assurance is included on the submission form.
Submission Due Date: February 28 by 11:59 pm. Conference registration is required for work to be judged. Missing the deadline will forfeit competitor participation. Hint: Allow for plenty of time to upload your work.
FINALISTS: The top eight (8) individuals or teams with the highest prejudged score will participate in the presentation portion of this event. Competitors are responsible for bringing the App to show judges.
- Equipment Setup: 5 min (if exceeded, the amount of time exceeded will be deducted from the presentation time)
- Performance: 7 min
- Warning: 6 min
- Time Up: 7 min
- Penalty Over Time: 5 pts
- Q & A: Judges will conduct a three (3) minute question-answer period.
JUDGING: Judges will use the rating sheets (prejudged or presentation) to score competitors. The panel of judges evaluating prejudged materials may not necessarily be the same panel evaluating the presentations. All decisions of the judges are final.
Rating Sheet (demonstration is shown first)
GUIDELINES (It is highly recommended that competitors read all guidelines)
Prejudged Project with Presentation
General (All Events)
General Competitive Event Tips