TOPIC: The traditional work environment is changing as technology provides employees the ability to work from anywhere. How is this trend positively and negatively, affecting the modern business environment and employee collaboration?
SKILLS: This event provides FBLA members with an opportunity to develop and demonstrate skills in researching and presenting an emerging business issue.
Event Specific Guidelines:
- Competitors must research the topic prior to conference and be prepared to present their findings and solutions.
- Facts and data must be cited and secured from quality sources (peer review documents, legal documents, etc.).
- The written synopsis on the affirmative and negative arguments cannot exceed 500 words each. Include a reference section (not counted in the 500-word limit). Refer to FBLA Format Guide (link below) for more information on citing resources.
- Each page must be labeled with the participants' names, state, school, and event title at the upper left-hand corner.
- Competitors are permitted to bring prepared notes of any type for the presentation.
- Teams will have seven (7) minutes to present both sides.
- No books, other bound materials, reference materials, visual aids, or electronic devices may be brought to or used during the performance.
- Presentation of the entry must be conducted by competitors who authored the event.
- Final performances may be open to conference attendees, space permitting. Finalists' may not view other competitors' performances in their event.
Submission: Synopsis must be submitted online as a PDF. See Competitive Events Overview for submission forms.
Submission Deadline: February 28 by 11:59 PST. Conference registration is required for work to be judged. Missing the deadline will forfeit competitor participation. Hint: Allow for plenty of time to upload your work.
FINALISTS: The top eight (8) or top-ten (10) submissions with the highest score will participate in the presentation portion of this event. Number of finalists will be determined by December 31.
- Equipment Setup: N/A
- Performance: 7 min
- Warning: 6 min
- Time Up: 7 min
- Penalty Over Time: 5 pts
- Q & A: Judges will conduct a three (3) minute question-answer period.
Judging: Judges will use the rating sheets (prejudged or presentation) to score competitors. The panel of judges evaluating prejudged materials may not necessarily be the same panel evaluating the presentations. All decisions of the judges are final.
GUIDELINES: (It is highly recommended that competitors read all guidelines)
Prejudged Project with Presentation
General (All Events)
General Competitive Tips
- Economics & Personal Finance
- International Business
- Business Management & Administration
- Information Techology