Category: Prejudged Project & PresentationType: Individual or Team
OVERVIEW: This event consists of two (2) parts: a prejudged project and a presentation at the conference. Competitors are required to complete both parts for award eligibility.
ELIGIBILITY: No more than one (1) team member may have competed in this event at a prior NLC or have competed more than two (2) years at the national level. A participant may compete as an individual their first year. However, if competing a second year, the participant must be part of a team.
SECTION: Each local chapter may submit one (1) entry created by either an individual or a team of two(2) or three (3).
STATE: A maximum of two (2) places from the section conference will represent their section at the State Leadership Conference.
NATIONAL: The top four (4) places in the state competition will representate California at the National Leadership Conference.
TOPIC: You and/or your team are part of your school’s broadcast team. Create a broadcast event that includes the following:
- Plans of your FBLA Chapter for the school year.
- How to prevent cyberbullying on campus.
- A weather forecast.
- Senior news on campus.
SKILLS: Whether using the medium of TV, radio, or internet, the broadcast journalist has to look for possible news or feature stories that might be of interest to the public. This event provides recognition for FBLA members who demonstrate skill and understanding of the profession.
EVENT SPECIFIC GUIDELINES
- For Section Conference competition, using the topic above, submit a seven (7) minute video for prejudging of your individual or team presenting your news broadcast. The finalists at SLC will present LIVE before judges, so your video should reflect that presentation. Please do not use video enhancements. The national guidelines do not require a video. We use a submitted video for preliminary judging at the section conference due to space and time limitation at SLC.
- The video must be recorded using one camera on a single take. Zooming will be allowed to highlight your visual aids during your presentation.
- The video must comply with state and federal copyright laws.
- Visual aids (can be electronic, printed, etc.) are permitted during the presentation.
- Do not use video effects (exception above). The video should replicate watching the presentation as a member of a live audience.
- Each participant’s demonstration must be the result of his/her own efforts. Facts and working data may be secured from any source.
Submission (Section): Video must be submitted online as a URL. See Competitive Events Overview for submission forms.
Submission (State): A maximum of the top two (2) places from the section competition will represent their section at the State Leadership Conference. Finalists will present a live broadcast before judges.
Submission Deadline (Section): 11:59 pm PST January 18 for Section Conference. Conference registration is required for work to be judged. Missing the deadline or failure to register for the conference will forfeit competitor participation. Hint: Allow for plenty of time to upload your work.
Finalists Registering for State: There is no prejudged for State. All qualifying individuals or team from Section Conference must be registered for the conference by 11:59 pm PST February 28 for State Conference. Conference registration is required for work to be judged. Failure to register for the conference will forfeit competitor participation. Hint: Allow for plenty of time to upload your work.
TIMELINE: (State Finalists)
- Equipment Setup: 5 min (if exceeded, the amount of time exceeded will be deducted from the presentation time)
- Performance: 7 min
- Warning: 6 min
- Time Up: 7 min
- Penalty Over Time: 5 pts
- Q & A: Judges will conduct a three (3) minute question-answer period.
JUDGING: Judges will use the rating sheets (section prejudged video or state presentation) to score competitors. The panel of judges evaluating prejudged materials may not necessarily be the same panel evaluating the presentations. All decisions of the judges are final.
Rating Sheet - Prejudged
Rating Sheet - Presentation
GUIDELINES (It is highly recommended that competitors read all guidelines)
Presentation with Equipment
Prejudged Project with Presentation
General (All Events)
General Competitive Event Tips