ELIGIBILITY: The participant may not have previously competed in this event at the national level.
OVERVIEW: The speech must be of a business nature and based on FBLA‑PBL Goals.
SECTION: Each local chapter may inter one (1) member.
STATE: A minimum of the top two (2) places from the section competition will represent their section at the State Leadership Conference.
NATIONAL: The top four (4) places in the state competition will represent California at the National Leadership Conference. NOTE: Some SLC top-10 finalists will become eligible for the national conference as a result of drops. Make sure you get early approval from your parents to attend the National Conference so you will be in a position to say "yes" to your adviser if you are "bumped up".
SKILLS: This event recognizes FBLA members who are developing qualities of business leadership by cultivating effective speaking skills.
Event Specific Guidlines:
- The speech must be of a business nature and must be developed from one or more of the FBLA-PBL Goals.
- When delivering the speech, competitors may use notes prepared before the event.
- No other reference materials such as visual aids or electronic devices may be brought to or used during the event preparation or presentation.
- Equipment Setup: N/A
- Performance: 5 min
- Warning: 4 min
- Time Up: 5 min
- Penalty Time: Deduction of five(5) points.
- Q & A: N/A
JUDGING: When the speaker is finished, the time used by the participant will be recorded, noting a deduction of five (5) points for any time under 4:31 or over 5:29. All decisions of Judges are final.
GUIDELINES: (It is highly recommended that competitors read all guidelines)
Speech Event Guidelines
General (All Events)
Sample Practice Materials
Format Guide PDF
Guidelines for Oral Presentations
Presentation Tips for Public Speaking
Succeed in Public Speaking
- Business Management & Administration
- Human Services
- Marketing, Sales, & Service