SPEAKING EVENT TIPS
Speaking Event Tips
Tips for Speaking Events
- Check the event guidelines for time allowed and penalty deduction if you go under or over the allowed time. Penalty points are given if your speech is under or over the time limit.
- Practice, practice, practice.
- If possible, time your speech.
- Eye contact is important.
- Do not read from your notes.
- When developing your speech topic (Public Speaking), make sure the speech reflects at least one of the FBLA-PBL Goals.
- Impromptu Speaking students will be given a prompt to develop and then present.
- FBLA-PBL Goals
- Develop competent, aggressive business leadership.
- Strengthen the confidence of students in themselves and their work.
- Create more interest in and understanding of the American business enterprise.
- Encourage members in the development of individual projects that contribute to the improvement of home, business, and community.
- Develop character, prepare for useful citizenship, and foster patriotism.
- Encourage and practice efficient money management.
- Encourage scholarship and promote school loyalty.
- Assist students in the establishment of occupational goals.
- Facilitate the transition from school to work.